Computer Science SSC-I / 9th Class Syllabus and Model Papers Federal Board Secondary School Certificate
For Class IX (marks 55)
1. Introduction to Computers
o History and development of computers
- Types of computers (analogue, digital, hybrid)
- Classification of digital computers (micro, mini, mainframe and super computer)
o Impact of computers and the internet on society
o Introduction to programming languages (high level, medium level and low level) concepts of compiler, interpreter and assembler.
2. Computer Components
o Central Processing Unit (CPU),
- Control Unit (CU),
Arithmetic and Logic Unit (ALU)
- Busses: Data bus, Address bus, Control bus
o Primary/Main memory (RAM, ROM) Secondary memory,
o Input/output devices,
o Ports: serial and parallel ports
3. Input/Output Devices
o Input devices:
- Key board, mouse, joystick, scanner, trackball, light pen, voice microphone, digital video camera, disk drive
o Output devices:
- Monitors, printers and their kinds (daisy wheel, line, electrostatic, inkjet, electro thermal and laser), plotters, CD writer, disk drive (concept of soft copy and hard copy)
4. Storage Devices
o Main memory:
- RAM, ROM, SIMM, DIMM
o Memory units:
- Bits, byte (K bytes, M bytes, G bytes and T bytes).
- Secondary memory;
- Floppy disk, hard disk, compact disk, magnetic tape.
5. Computer Software
o Types of software:
- System software (operating system, programming language translator, service software and examples),
- Application software,
o DOS Commands:
- Executable Files, EXE, COM and BAT,
- DIR with Switches, CLS, DATE, TIME, COPY, VER, DEL, TYPE, FORMAT, COPY PRINT, SYS, CHKDSK, EDIT, XCOPY, DELTREE, PROMPT, REM,
o Create or make directory,
o Remove/Delete command, and other commonly used commands,
6. Introduction to WINDOWS
o Startup process of WINDOWS,
o Components of WINDOWS:
- Title bar,
- Status bar,
- Scroll bars,
- Menu bar,
- Dialog boxes,
o Familiarization with WINDOWS icons:
- My Computer,
- Recycle Bin,
- Start Button,
- Control Panel,
- Other sub menus,
- Clicking the start button, beginning with taskbar,
- Shut down process,
o Demonstration of installation procedure for WINDOWS,
o Viruses and anti-virus.
7. Computer Application (Word Processor)
o Introduction to word processing,
o Loading a word processing program (MS WORD):
- Typing, saving, exiting,
- Text formatting,
- Document formatting,
- Blocking, moving blocks of text,
- Fonts, page layout, printing.
For Class IX (marks 20)
1. Familiarization of DOS commands (external commands) as given in chapter 7.
2. Familiarization of DOS commands (internal commands) as given in chapter 7.
3. Demonstration of the installation of WINDOWS.
4. Demonstration of computer components: (cards, motherboards, buses, connectors, serial ports and other important ICs).
5. Familiarization with WINDOWS (all the WINDOWS icons) including shutdown process.
6. Use of the mouse.
7. Opening, creating, saving, deleting and printing files in MS-WORD.
8. Editing MS-WORD documents.
RECOMMENDED REFERENCE BOOKS FOR CLASS IX
The question paper will be syllabus oriented. However, the following books are recommended for reference and supplementary reading:
1. Computer Science
National Book Foundation, Islamabad
2. Computer Science
Punjab Text Book Board, Lahore
3. Computer Science
NWFP Textbook Board, Peshawar
4. Computer Science
Baluchistan Textbook Board, Quetta
5. A Textbook of Computer Science for class IX-X
Prof. Shaukat Ayub Burki
Gaba Educational Book
Urdu Bazaar, M.A. Jinnah Road, Karachi