Common Questions for Interview
|Candidates often don’t think about whether they are actually answering the questions their interviewers ask. Make sure you understand what is being asked, and get further clarification if you are unsure.|
99 Common Interview Questions
Apart from job specific, technical, and experience questions, the following is a selection of the most popular questions asked by interviewers.
It will be time well spent studying each question and writing out your answers rather than just thinking them through.
1. Tell me about yourself?
2. Why should we give you the job?
3. What is your major achievement?
4. What are you good at?
5. What sort of person are you?
6. What are your strengths?
7. What are your weaknesses?
8. What do you know about our organization?
9. How would you approach this job?
10. How do you get things done?
11. How do you manage your staff?
12. What do you look for in a manager?
13. What do you look for in a subordinate?
14. How do you decide on your objectives?
15. How do you manage your day?
16. What interests you most in your work?
17. What have you read recently that has taken your interest?
18. What sort of things do you like to delegate?
19. What do you do in your spare time?
20. In what environment do you work best?
21. How did you change the job?
22. What motivates you?
23. If you could change your current/last job in any way how would you do it?
24. If you could change your organization job in any way how would you do it?
25. How have you changed over the last five years?
26. Where do you see yourself going in the next 5 years?
27. Describe a time when you felt you were doing well?
28. Describe a time when you felt things were not going too well?
29. How do you work in a team?
30. What contribution do you make to a team?
31. What would your colleagues say about you?
32. How would your boss describe your work?
33. Describe your ideal working environment?
34. When were you most happy at work…WHY?
35. Describe a difficult situation and what you did about it?
36. Who are you working best with just now? ….. WHY?
37. Who are you finding it difficult to work with right now…? WHY?
38. Describe how you typically approach a project?
39. Given a choice in your work what do you like to do first?
40. On holiday what do you miss most about your work?
41. Given a choice, what would you leave till last in your work?
42. What do you think you can bring to this position?
43. What do you think you can bring to this company?
44. How do you see this job developing?
45. You do not seem to have much experience of……………..?
46. You seem over/under qualified for this job?
47. We prefer older/younger candidates!
48. Why did you leave XYZ co?
49. Why are you dissatisfied with your present job?
50. Why are you considering a move from your present company?
51. Why have you stayed so long with one company?
52. You seem to move from company to company very often?
53. Why were you out of work for so long?
54. Why were you made redundant?
55. If we asked for a reference what would it say about you?
56. What sort of salary are you expecting?
57. What do you think is your market value?
58. On a scale of 1-10 how important is your work to you?
59. How did you get your last job?
60. Why were you transferred / promoted?
61. Do you like to work in a team or on your own?
62. What do you like best about your current/last job?
63. What do/did you like best about your current/last employer?
64. What did you learn in that job?
65. What did you learn from the XYZ Co approach?
66. How did that job influence your career?
67. If you did not have to work what would you do?
68. Given the achievements in your CV why is your salary so low?
69. What will you do if you do not get this job?
70. What other jobs have you applied for recently?
71. How could your boss improve his/her management of you?
72. What decisions do you find easy to make?
73. What decisions do you find difficult to make?
74. How does this job fit into your career plan?
75. How long would you plan to stay with this company?
76. How do you motivate others?
77. When do you plan to retire?
78. What will you do in retirement?
79. What training courses have you been on?
80. What training have you had for this job?
81. On what do you spend your disposable income?
82. On taking this job, what would be your major contribution?
83. How do you get the best out of people?
84. Which of your jobs have given you the greatest satisfaction?
85. How do you respond to stress? Give an example?
86. This job has a large component of…………….. How will you cope with that?
87. What support/training will you need to do this job?
88. What will you look forward to most in this job?
89. What sort of person are you socially?
90. In your view, what are the major problems/opportunities facing this co?
91. How did you get into this line of work?
92. What other irons do you have in the fire for your next job?
93. What will be your key target in this job if we appoint you?
94. What aspects of this job would you delegate?
95. What makes you think you can be successful with us?
96. What are the major influences that encourage you to take a job?
97. How does the job sound to you?
98. What questions do you have for us?
99. Have you been coached in interview skills?